Jun 1, 2010

Knee deep in the dead

Some pointers on fast but pretty good reviews of old IdTech and their adaptions to iPhone!

Wolfenstein3D iPhone
Doom PC
Doom iPhone
Quake PC

Ah those good old days... I was so young when I played Doom the first time on a friend's computer. By the way, everyone should read Micheal Abrash's Black Book full of anecdotes and in-depth details about Quake renderer algorithms. For instance, you would learn that John Carmack bet that he could implement dynamic lighting in the quake engine in less than an hour. Indeed, he failed but of only few minutes (3 to 7, I can't remember). But hell yeah! In an hour! :)

6 comments:

  1. Carmack is a living God, no doubt about it :)

    I really enjoyed playing Wolfenstein on my iPhone, I was a bit young when it came out, I only started with Doom.

    Still knee deep in your thesis writing ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have iPhone... On mobile, I have only tested DoomRPG and WolfRPG.

    Yep! First version of my PhD manuscript is finished but still not reviewed by my supervisor. I hope it will be finished by the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an hour? hmm... hell - still a lot to learn then :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's 1h and 9 minutes (cf : http://nondot.org/~sabre/Mirrored/GraphicsProgrammingBlackBook/ chapter 70) and yes, it's a really good book to read

    ReplyDelete
  5. @RiddleMaster: at this time the engine architecture was implemented but still, nice performance.

    @michel: I remember when we were reading parts of this book at the university library! :) I had the opportunity to read it again few month ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is the correct link: http://nondot.org/~sabre/Mirrored/GraphicsProgrammingBlackBook/gpbb70.pdf.
    Search for "Dynamic Lighting".

    ReplyDelete